Friday, March 28, 2008

Long Road but Seeing the Light. . .

Yesterday Shawna was discharged from the hospital and we immediately began our search for a rehab. After a dozen calls I found out that AZ does not provide a res. rehab for their patients unless they are SMI. Next step, was to find one with a bed available that we could afford. Finally, a prayer answered - we just started calling going down the list and we were excited to find in Mesa. "Foundation for New Beginnings" It's all female and very structured and a "90-day program". We are using our retirement funds to pay for this but feel we have done everything possible other than paying for a res. rehab. She was anxious at first but after meeting two of the girls, Crystal and Amanda, she seemed to fit right in. We pray that this is the answer for Shawna to have a permanent recovery from alcohol. Just got a call and she threatened to leave if I didn't call the Director and demand that she get the roommate that she had originally chosen. NOPE!! Not going there. I said follow the program and you'll recover. I am not concerned who your roommate is. I did reiterate that IF she walked away that indeed, we would walk in the other direction permanently. I told her Shawna this is not a game. We cannot continue the way we have. I know emotionally and mentally that I'm at the end of my road with her. She will be 34 in two weeks and she reminds me that after all "she is an adult." I will continue to pray for her to have the strength to follow the program and become our old Shawna. Looking forward to brighter days. . . . . . . .

No comments: